Monday, May 14, 2012

Breaking in my feet to Vibrams


These are my latest shoe adventure: Vibram FiveFingers (VFFs.) After much research, reviews, and online searching, I finally bought me a pair of these funky looking shoes, that is, if you can even call them shoes, I think of them more as my "tires." Anyone who has tried them on will tell you, it feels like you are walking barefoot. You feel whatever surface you are on without having to worry about stepping on sharp objects and actually hurting your foot.
The most common question I get (and the one that I was most concerned about) is, "Is that enough cushion for you? Doesn't it hurt to run on hard surfaces?" The question, honestly, is YES and NO. Yes it is quite enough cushion, I never worry about the impact. No, it does not hurt to run on hard surfaces.
If you try, right now, to run barefoot across the room you are in, you will notice right away that you naturally run striking the ball of your foot FIRST, followed by your heel. Try it. Now try running barefoot striking heel first. You won't be able to do it and will probably laugh trying to (you can't help but look funny). That is the idea behind minimalist running: returning to our natural form.
If you pick up a VFF shoe, you will notice it feels like tire rubber. It is extremely light and flexible. I joke that I don't need to break them in, they need to break ME in. When you adjust to this shoe, you start using muscles you never knew you had! (Did you know you have over 40 bones in one foot? Crazy!)
I have had my black and pink KomodoSport LS VFFs now for just over a month and have LOVED the transition.
I am running the Utah Valley Marathon on June 9th (less than a month!) and am hoping to run in these shoes! It is a bit ambitious, seeing as I will only have been wearing them for 2 months. If I don't run the whole 26.2 miles in these, then I plan on running most of it in them and switching halfway through. Regardless, these shoes have improved my running. You can't help but improve your stride, take shorter, quicker steps, and stand a little straighter when using this footwear. I love that they are also so versatile; I use them to work out, run in, I sometimes wear them to work, and they are perfectly water safe and can be used as an aquatic shoe.
My review of these shoes thus far is a 10 out of 10. Yes, I even like the design. Don't be fooled by the funky toes, look up your local running store that carries them on www.vibramfivefingers.com and try on a pair before you judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment