Monday, May 7, 2012

Mike's Pina Colada

I bought a young Thai coconut a few days ago in the hope of making Megan Elizabeth's latest smoothie recipe (seen on www.meganelizabeth.com). We cracked it open on Sunday, however Michael had been waiting to use the coconut for a recipe of his own...Pina Coladas! We had two perfectly ripe pineapples chillin' by the window, and even though I was hoping to get my use out of the coconut, I couldn't help but get excited after seeing Michael so thrilled! After taking a whiff of the water, he said decisively that he didn't want to use that stuff, so I drained it and put it aside (turns out I would be able to make my cherry-vanilla-coconut smoothie after all). He carefully scraped out the coconut meat and washed it while I diced the pineapple.
1 pineapple
meat from 1 young thai coconut
6 khadrawi dates
small handful of coconut flakes (for added texture and flavor)
1 cup of water
1 cup of ice
 ....blended in the Vitamix....and there ya go! A perfectly refreshing drink! After taking some satisfying gulps, Michael confessed that we should have used the real coconut water. "Next time!" I said (because the coconut water was the missing ingredient for MY smoothie). I preferred my drink with one banana blended in with it to make it slightly less tangy. Michael eats loads of bananas in his green smoothies so he wasn't interested in altering the pineapple flavor. Next time I also plan on putting maybe a dash of vanilla in it...hmm we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment